Date: 06:52:10 on Tuesday, December 08, 2009
Subject: Ren's special steak sauce
Ingredients: (Serves 4 with quantities stated)
• 1 Medium Sized Red Onion
• 1 Large fresh Tomato (or half can of pre-chopped tomato)
• 75g / 3 oz Butter
• 2 Dessert spoons of dark brown Muscovado Sugar
• 50g / 2oz Double Cream
• Splash of Worcestershire Sauce
• Splash of low-salt Soy Sauce
• 2 teaspoons of Bovril (Thick beef stock paste)
Preparation and cooking:
1. Finely chop the red onion and place in a small saucepan with the butter and sweat over a medium heat for five minutes until the onions start to soften.
2. Meanwhile, de-skin and finely chop the tomato which is added to the now soft onions in the pan. Cook for a further five minutes, tossing or stirring the mix frequently.
3. Vigorously stir in the brown sugar to start a caramelisation process. After 2 minutes add the Bovril, Worcestershire sauce and Soy sauce.
4. Turn to a low heat and simmer while cooking the steaks, stirring frequently.
5. Just before serving, stir in the double cream (adding more cream to taste will have the effect of further thickening the sauce). Spoon the mixture and its juices over the steaks.
(Note: If you liquidise the finished mix in a blender the recipe can also be used as a barbeque sauce that can be brushed onto burgers and meat while cooking over charcoal)