Date: 07:00:06 on Tuesday, December 08, 2009
Subject: Steamed dessert pudding
(Serves 4 with quantities stated)
• Butter or margarine for greasing the basin
• 4 tablespoons golden syrup
• 175g / 6oz Self-raising flour
• 75g / 3oz Atora shredded beef suet
• 50g / 2oz Caster sugar
• 2 medium Eggs
• approx 4 - 6 tablespoons of milk
1. Grease a 1.1 litre (2 pint) glass pudding basin with the butter or margarine, then place the syrup in the bottom of the basin. Set aside until needed.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, suet and sugar.
3. Make a well in the centre then add the eggs and just enough milk to stir and produce a soft dough, that will drop easily from a spoon.
4. Pour the dough mixture over the syrup in the pudding basin.
5. Cover with pleated greaseproof paper, baking foil or a gauze cloth and secure tightly around the neck of the basin with string before steaming for 2 hours. Turn the pudding out of the basin onto a plate and serve hot with custard sauce or more melted golden syrup.
NOTE 1: The same pudding can be made by substituting strawberry jam instead of the syrup.
NOTE 2: The dough mixture (without syrup or jam) can be made a little stiffer with less milk, rolled into balls and added to stews to make tasty dumplings with a meat stew.